Friday 16 April 2010

Erykah.




A friend was once heard saying Erykah was the "Baduist", while I am obviously condemming of such bad word play I can't help but agree with the sentiment. Ms. Badu sums up just about everything I'd like to be, conscious, intelligent, articulate, beautiful, the possessor of one helluva pair of lungs and inspiration for one of the best hip-hop songs ever made. Common - "The Light". In her early career with 'Baduizm' and 'Mama's Gun' she fell on the right side of the ever-tricky genre of Neo-Soul and her latest two offerings, 'New Amerykah's Parts I & II' are two of my favourite albums of the last 24 months. Both combine killer production, Dilla and Sa-Ra holding fort, with Ms. Badu's trademark vocals and are, in my opinion, truly original. I own up to having a soft spot for 'New Amerykah Part II', mainly because it's all about love and I just can't resist a good love song.


New Amerykah Part III is dropping soon apparently. Not soon enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment